Color Genomics, 2015 – present
Helping lead engineering and ops. Contributing to bioinformatics pipeline, data mining infrastructure, research database and platform, internal genomics tools, and external webapps.
Quip, 2013 – 2015
Google, 2003 – 2013
Co-founded Google App Engine and led its datastore engineering team. The datastore is a very large scale, multi-homed NoSQL database. At the end of my tenure, it stored >XXXB rows, >XXXPB of data, and served >XXXkqps. (2005 – 2010)
Led and contributed to network management projects for Google’s backbone network AS15169, including command and control, monitoring, automation, topology, routing, peering, and OpenFlow. (2010 – 2011)
Led Google’s early use of OpenID. Evangelized to stakeholders, built and coordinated multiple integrations, and drove internal adoption that culminated in a full Google Accounts provider and consumer. (2006)
Co-founded Google’s transaction processing platform and led its storage engineering team. The platform handles OLTP, rating, billing, invoicing, payments, and revenue share. At the end of my tenure, it served >XXM customers, >XB transactions per day, and >XXkqps with 99.98% uptime. (2003 – 2006)
IBM Almaden Research Center, 2002 – 2003
Extreme Blue intern, then research engineer. Helped design and build a collaboration and visualization platform for molecular biologists. Also developed a parallel computing system for running molecular analyses and simulations on large server clusters.
Stanford University, 1998 – 2003
MS in Computer Science
BS in Computer Science, minor in Mathematics
Coursework: networking, distributed systems, security, streaming algorithms, advanced databases, operating systems, C/C++, Java, graphics, discrete math, abstract algebra.
LucasArts Entertainment, Software Engineer intern, 2001
Webvan Group, Software Engineer intern, 2000
Electronic Arts, QA Tester, 1999
MobileForce Technologies, Software Engineer intern, 1998
- USPTO 9584882 (Google Patents): Communication generation using sparse indicators and sensor data
- USPTO 8005950 (Google Patents): Application server scalability through runtime restrictions enforcement in a distributed application execution system
- USPTO 7877482 (Google Patents): Efficient application hosting in a distributed application execution system
- Eagle Scout, Boy Scout Troop 120
- Black Belt, 1st dan, Hapkido Karate, Jang Moo Won
- Classical piano under Geraldine Keeling, multiple competitions and concerts