Color Genomics, 2015 – present
Engineering and ops lead: data platform, bioinformatics, infrastructure, research, and internal tools.
Quip, 2013 – 2015
Google, 2003 – 2013
Senior Staff Engineer
Co-founded Google App Engine and led its datastore engineering team, which eventually led to the Google Cloud business and product suite. The datastore is a very large scale, multi-homed NoSQL database. At the end of my tenure, it stored >XXXB rows, >XXXPB of data, and served >XXXkqps. (2005 – 2010)
Led and contributed to network management projects for Google’s backbone network AS15169, including command and control, monitoring, automation, topology, routing, peering, and OpenFlow. (2010 – 2011)
Led Google’s early use of OpenID. Evangelized to stakeholders, built and coordinated multiple integrations, and drove internal adoption that culminated in a full Google Accounts provider and consumer. (2006)
Co-founded Google’s transaction processing platform and led its storage engineering team. The platform handles OLTP, rating, billing, invoicing, payments, and revenue share. At the end of my tenure, it served >XXM customers, >XB transactions per day, and >XXkqps with 99.98% uptime. (2003 – 2006)
IBM Research – Almaden, 2002 – 2003
Extreme Blue intern, then research engineer. Helped design and build a collaboration and visualization platform for molecular biologists. Also developed a parallel computing system for running molecular analyses and simulations on large server clusters.
Stanford University, 1998 – 2003
MS Computer Science
BS Computer Science, Mathematics minor
Coursework: networking, distributed systems, security, streaming algorithms, advanced databases, operating systems, C/C++, Java, graphics, discrete math, abstract algebra.
LucasArts Entertainment, Software Engineer intern, 2001
Webvan Group, Software Engineer intern, 2000
Electronic Arts, QA Tester, 1999
MobileForce Technologies, Software Engineer intern, 1998
- Barrett, Neben, et al. A scalable, aggregated genotypic-phenotypic database for human disease variation. Database: The Journal of Biological Databases and Curation, Volume 2019.
Wilkerson, Barrett, et al. Distributed Transactions for Google App Engine: Optimistic Distributed Transactions built upon Local Multi-Version Concurrency Control. Computing Research Repository, June 2011, arXiv:1106.3325, blog post.
Transactions Across Datacenters. Special Lecture Series in Computer Science, University of San Francisco, Feb. 12 2009; Google I/O, May 27 2009. Citations, slides, video, review, book excerpt, related blog post.
Under the Covers of the Google App Engine Datastore. Google I/O, 2008. Citations, slides, video.
- 9811552 (USPTO): Detecting and bucketing sparse indicators for communication generation
- 9785792 (USPTO): Systems and methods for processing requests for genetic data based on client permission data
- 9811439 (USPTO): Functional testing of code modifications for read processing systems
- 9817866 (USPTO): Lossless compression of client read data
- 9813467 (USPTO): Real-time alignment and processing of incomplete stream of data
- 9811391 (USPTO): Load balancing and conflict processing in workflow with task dependencies
- 9773031 (USPTO): Duplication and deletion detection using transformation processing of depth vectors
- 9678794, 9811438 (USPTO): Techniques for processing queries relating to task-completion times or cross-data-structure interactions
- 9584882, 9774508 (USPTO): Communication generation using sparse indicators and sensor data
- 8005950 (USPTO): Application server scalability through runtime restrictions enforcement in a distributed application execution system
- 7877482 (USPTO): Efficient application hosting in a distributed application execution system
- Eagle Scout, Boy Scout Troop 120
- Black Belt, 1st dan, Hapkido Karate, Jang Moo Won
- Classical piano under Geraldine Keeling, multiple competitions and concerts