I often update more than one page or post before I get a chance to publish them,
though, and I often forget which ones need to be updated. So, I wrote a wrapper
script, blogpost.sh, that finds all files that need to be
published or updated and runs
blogpost.py to publish them.
Before you use
blogpost.sh, you’ll need to configure it by changing the
POST_RE variables at the top of the script to
match your post files. Also, note that it expects the first line of your post
files to be the title, and the second line to be blank, a la
blogpost.sh has gone through a few iterations. I store my post files in
Subversion, so I first tried using
svn st to
determine which post files were modified. That worked, but it tied publishing
posts to checking them into Subversion, which I didn’t like.
Next, I tried hashing all of the post files and comparing them to the stored
hashes in their
.blogpost files. That worked, but it was pretty heavyweight. I
have hundreds of posts and pages, so hashing them all takes some time, and
usually only a few of them have changed anyway.
I finally settled on a hybrid of hashing and mtime. I loop over all of the files
in order of last modification time, starting with the most recent. I hash each
one, compare that to its
.blogpost file, and publish the file if it’s changed.
I stop at the first file that hasn’t changed.